query: immigrant leadership

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Dec 5 09:37:49 CST 2000

[ed:  thanks to Kristin and Hillary, for addressing Susan's query.]

From: Kristin Scotchmer <kristin at mosaica.org>

Susan,

         Attached below you will find a report developed by MOSAICA called
Research
on Barriers and Opportunities for Increasing Leadership in Immigrant and
Refugee Communities (in MSWORD and as a text file).  The report summarizes
the results of a study undertaken in 1999 to assist the Hyams Foundation in
deciding how its grantmaking in civic participation might best be used to
increase the development and exercise of leadership among immigrants and
refugees. The original report prepared to assist the Foundation in its
internal decision making included detailed program options and
recommendations. This public report includes the full text of study
findings, with summary recommendations and more limited appendices.

         Another report that could be helpful is the Replication Guide for
Proyecto
PLAN: Poder Latino Action Network, produced by the National Council of La
Raza in 1996. I don't have an electronic copy but could send a hard copy to
you if you send me your address.

         Also, although not focused on immigrant leadership, the following two
studies developed by the Kellogg Foundation were helpful to our work on
immigrant leadership. 1) Grassroots Leaders: Growing Healthy and
Sustainable Communities. April 1999.
http://www.wkkf.org/publications/grassroots_521.htm and 2) Leadership in
the Making: Impact and Insight from Leadership Development and Programs in
U.S. Colleges and Universities. August 1999
http://www.wkkf.org/Publications/LeaderMaking/default.htm

Let me know if you have any questions about our study. I'd love for you to
keep me in mind if you come across other useful reports.

Kristin Scotchmer
Director of Organizational Development
MOSAICA: The Center for Nonprofit Development and Pluralism
1522 K Street, NW, Suite 1130
Washington, DC 20005
(202) 887-0620
(202) 887-0812 fax
http://www.mosaica.org

[ed:  COMM-ORG does not send out attached files.  Please contact Kristin
directly to get a copy of the report.]

********************************

From: "Hillary R. Aisenstein" <hillarya at pobox.upenn.edu>

Contact the folks at Temple's Center for Intergenerational Learning.  They
have an extensive program called SHINE (Students Helping in the
Naturalization of
Elders) which is an intergenerational project that pairs student tutors
with older immigrants who want to learn English and achieve citizenship
status.  I am
sure they have some kind of leadership development component.  Email Bob
Allen - rallen03 at unix.temple.edu

Another person I would contact is John Wallace (walla003 at maroon.tc.umn.edu)
at University of Minnesota.  He does something with the Hmong population in
Minneapolis.  I'm sorry I can't be more specific - but my hunch is that he
would be an excellent resource.

Good luck.

Hillary