query: organizing in Jewish communities

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Dec 12 21:52:39 CST 2000

[ed:  please copy COMM-ORG with any good organizing stories addressing Mona
Gil de Gibaja's query.  A thought from me below.]

From: "Mona K. Gil de Gibaja" <gildegib at rcf-fs.usc.edu>

I have not posted on the list for a long time, but I thought I might be
able to benefit from the experience others have had with organizing in the
Jewish community as I am teaching  a course in the Spring on Community
Organizing and Working with Community Agencies for rabbinical students.  I
co-developed this course about 4 years ago, taught it twice and am teaching
it again after about 2 years off.  I use a nice combination of early CO
works, chapters from books, articles and other pieces I have collected over
the years.  However, it would be great if I could have stories or materials
from people who have been successful in organizing in Jewish temples or
synagogues or communities.  In addition, I am also looking for guest
speakers in the Los Angeles area who might want to host a visit to their
site for the students or would like to speak at a class.  My hope is to
make this class more practical and applicable in the latter part of the
semester so that the students can really apply this in their life as rabbis.

Thank you in advance for any assistance any one may have to offer.  I look
forward to your responses.

Mona Gil de Gibaja

[ed:  the Jewish Organizing Initiative (http://www.Jewishorganizing.org/
linked from the COMM-ORG CO Groups and Networks page), and Gather the
People (http://www.gatherthepeople.org linked from the COMM-ORG Training
and Technical Assistance page) may be of help.]