query: organizing in Jewish communities

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Dec 14 16:22:26 CST 2000

[ed:  thanks to Joel for responding to Mona Gil de Gibaja's query.]

From: Joel Simon <jsimon at okrent.com>

 I used to work for an organization here in Chicago called the Jewish Council
on Urban Affairs. Our main activity was working with non-jewish communities
on issues of urban justice (housing, jobs, police conduct, communuity
development) but an important portion of the JCUA's work was working to
educate jweish commuinities and congregation about these issues. Go to
<www.jcua.org> for more information. Rabbi Bruce Elder now heads the
synagogue outreach and would be a great speaker, as would the organization's
founder Rabbi Robert Marx, still an active board member.

I believe that Minneapolis, San Francisco, and New York also have similar
organizations. New York's is called Jews for Racial and Economic Justice. Los
Angeles also has one whose name escapes me. If I think of it, I'll let you
know.

             Good Luck,

             Joel Simon