home own vs. rent

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Dec 14 16:36:16 CST 2000

[ed:   please feel welcome to copy COMM-ORG with your thoughts and resources
on James' query.  I have a couple of thoughts below.]

From: James DeFilippis <james.defilippis at kcl.ac.uk>

Hi all,

I have been finishing writing up some work I had done with the Mutual Housing
Association of Southwest Connecticut, and I've been thinking a lot about
issues of homeownership for low-income people. On the one hand, I can
certainly understand why everyone would want the benefits that homeownership
brings in terms of personal security (not to be displaced by rent increases)
or freedom (to do do with what one would with their home). And I can
understand the desire to generate personal equity and wealth in the form of
property ownership (and therefore create further access to capital in the
form of loans, or, sometimes, rent). But I also can't shake the feeling that
the privileging of homeownership over renting in the US has not, and is not,
served the interests of low income people. First of all, homeownership is an
incredibly consumptive form of living -- both in terms of the demands it
makes on households' time and money (something low income households, by
definition, don't have a lot of), and the larger social problems of
consumption in terms of every family having its own boiler (for instance),
and what that means for issues of environmental sustainability. Second, what
about the problems associated with unexpected costs in homeownership? That
is, how does a low income household, without a lot of assets, do when that
individually-owned boiler breaks? Third, what about the issue of
homeownership tying low-income homeowners to neighborhoods, that, quite
honestly, they might be better off leaving? In short, while homeownership
might protect residents from some of the effects of larger flows of capital
(relative to renters, who are more vulnerable), it hardly is capable of
dealing with larger neighborhood wide, or metropolitan area wide processes of
disinvestment.

It was this nagging set of doubts that attracted me to MHAs (and also
Community Land Trusts), but now that I'm trying to present MHAs as an
alternative to either the very limited power of renters (in the face of
landlord decisions, and flows of investment and disinvestment in the real
estate market more broadly), I find that I'm having a hard time finding work
"out there" defending the kinds of arguments I'm making about the costs of
homeownership for low-income people. Most everything being written, it seems,
is arguing that low-income people should be homeowners. I've read some work
on the public policy of homeownership promotion (from Peter Drier and Don
Krueckeberg) but I haven't seen a lot of work arguing that homeownership is
simply not the right solution for many, if not most, low-income people.

Am I way off base in my thinking on this, and if not, do people know of works
that have made similar kinds of arguments? Thanks,

James

James DeFilippis
Department of Geography
King's College London
Strand Campus
London WC2 2LS
020-7848-2610
james.defilippis at kcl.ac.uk

************************

[ed:  I have a bunch of thoughts but don't have time for them all, so just a
few from me.  1.  I am concerned about the research showing how home
ownership leads to political conservatism, and anti-poor attitudes (witness
the tension between homeowner associations and more inclusive community
organizations. There is some 1980s literature on housing classes that I found
instructive but am having trouble putting my finger on right now. 2.  But I
am even more concerned about the accumulation of property in a rentier class
who can extract profit from renters and reinforce their poverty the same way
that corporations extract profit from workers and reinforce their poverty.  I
find Logan and Molotch's work helpful on this issue. 3.  My personal
ideological preference is for community-owned housing such as co-ops, similar
to the models James is looking at.  The two best examples of that I know of
are the Route 2 development in Los Angeles that Allan David Heskin has
written about, and the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood in Minneapolis that I
have written about. But there are some significant problems with this model
as well, especially when it is used to serve low income people who are not
familiar with the model and see it as just another rental situation, and/or
when it is used to serve people who have home ownership aspirations and don't
like the neighbors having some say over their house/unit.  Finally It is a
risk for people to buy houses in poor neighborhoods, but that says less about
the problems of the neighborhood than the problems of the housing development
that often is used when a community organizing model is what is really
needed.  ]