query: multi-local CDCs

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Dec 17 14:17:05 CST 2000

Hi COMM-ORG.  Your humble moderator/editor here.  A query.

I am writing a paper on the relationship between development and organizing
(I know, can't seem to get it out of my system).  I am hoping to find out
whether there are any cases of "multi-local" CDCs partnering with "local"
community organizing groups.  In such a partnership, the community
organizing group manages the planning and the large CDC comes in only to
implement the plans on the community organizing group's terms.

A multi-local CDC is one which is *not* tied to any particular
neighborhood.  This might also included non-profit housing development
organizations or economic development organizations.  These are large,
highly capitalized organizations.

A local community organizing group is one which *is* tied to a particular
neighborhood.  These are often low-budget, even informal groups.

I followed up on the responses to Mike Hodge's October 12 COMM-ORG query on
the same topic and it appears that there are no such cases.  I just want to
do my best to make sure before I run off and say that the "Stoecker" model
is just an academic fantasy and exists only in his imagination.  :-)