your comm-org post

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Dec 22 15:19:35 CST 2000

[ed:  I sincerely apologize to Herb as well and thank him for
responding to the intended substance of David's concerns.
While Herb's message is responding to David, it also gives some
interesting background on his efforts. A bit more from me below.]

From: Herb Rubin <hrubin at sun.soci.niu.edu>

Certainly I intended no offense by the phrase "fugitive
materials" ; I'd never thought of the meaning beyond the literal
meaning of the materials being hard to find in academic or
practitioner libraries. Provide an alternative term and I'll
instantly adopt it. I'm sitting in my study surrounded by
several feet of unsorted publications from community groups and
support groups and really never thought of how to label them as
a literature. (The needed term has to cover two types of
literature -- the CCC stuff etc. that sitting on my desk, the
materials your organization produces that are rarely seen by
academics but also the numerous technical reports that think
tanks in universities produce that too often are not seen by
activists)

Here is what I am trying to do:

   (a)  The problem with most academic publications is that they
forget there is a world of practice out there that produces
written and oral insights. (And, in my own studies I've seen
many activist groups contract with research centers at
universities for projects and data that other research centers
have already produced and would have been nice to have
shared)

  (b)  The world of practice produces wonderful stuff like
material on this list, or the numerous publications that come
out of the first rate centers -- my own work freq. cites CCC
stuff, Delgado stuff, and the third edition of Comm. Org. and
Dev. is filled with awkwardly expressed urls to material on
colist.

  (c)  My objective is to try to introduce the more academic of
JCP people to such materials, as they do not seem to be cited in
the bibs. of JCP (or other academic journals). And, because of
the abstruse of many academic publications, practitioners don't
read them and an important dialogue is missed.

  (d)  I'll gladly accept and instantly adopt any other term
that refers to material not readily accessible through searches
through academic libraries but that we all should read, and want
to read, but often are unaware of

 (e) I also hope you will volunteer to do the review of comm-org
itself that should be part of the review section of JCP. And I
hope you will help me accomplish the task of publicizing this
wonderful array of material. On the day in which I sent my note,
I had just come back from Chicago in which I had engaged in a
discussion with some city activists on the
development/protest/management stuff (in which we both shared
literature and studies with each other as well as the
frustrations that that topic engenders). That discussion
reminded me hat I had been negligent in not searching out
activists to do some of the reviews. At that moment, I said why
not send out a request for help to colist that sort of bridges
the activist-academic world.

(f)  I'll adopt any term that seems appropriate, but I do need
help in my goal of doing what I think JCP needs to do more of --
that is speaking both to academics and activists. The reviews of
center and institutional based material would IMHO [in my honest
opinion] be a step in that direction -- share with academics the
material out of Delgado's center; help activists keep on top of
the oodles of studies on welfare to work that are available from
academic research tanks but that are otherwise not widely known.

Sorry if I used a word without thinking (and I mean that
literally, I didn't think about it) but my attempt is
inclusiveness of bridge building between academics and activists.

Thanks

Herb R.

Oh, a little self-defense. In another journal for which I did
reviews, I had numerous volunteers who summarized literature
from centers and think tanks that practitioners used; we
received numerous compliments for opening up an academic journal
to practitioners. That was and remains my objective.

**********************

[ed:  Doing the lemons to lemonade thing, this may provide us an
interesting opportunity to discuss how to bridge the "hard copy
divide."  I, for one, would be happy to discuss putting more
print-only practitioner writing up on COMM-ORG.]

[ed:  Also, thanks to both David and Herb for being gracious
about my screw-up.   And now you have all seen COMM-ORG running
around in its underwear.  And what you have seen is pretty
typical procedure.  About one in twenty messages contain both
thought and emotion that, if we were all in a room together,
wouldn't be a problem at all because we could read body
language, hear tone of voice, negotiate meaning, etc.  But we
don't have that here except for those silly smily faces, which I
personally find inadequate even when I use them.  In those cases
I offer suggestions to message authors for ways to compensate
for the lack of body language in messages.  That's what I was
trying to do in this case when I tripped over the technology.
:-(