on-line organizing example

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Apr 10 08:59:09 CDT 2001

[ed:  here is an on-line organizing example that I have seen through my
e-mail from different sources.]

From: Curtis <curtis.seyfried at verizon.net>

Hello,
            I am a community representative for a non-profit organization in
the South Bronx, NYC, NY. - UBEC - United Bronx Environmental
Coalition.  We represent and organize low income communities of color in
their struggle to gain power to obtain environmental justice.  We have been
instrumental in beginning a process to modify NYC's solid waste management
plan through a coalition - OWN, Organization of Waterfron Neighborhoods,
and, NYCEJA, NYC Environmental Justice Alliance, and NYLPI, NY Lawyers for
the Public Interest.
            Currently our communities, and other low income communities of
color in Brooklyn and the So. Bronx are being burdened with 10 gas turbine
electric power generating plants that NY Power Authority and NYS Department
of Environmental Conservation are forcing down our throats.  They are not
needed, except to supply power to the rich in Manhattan, and will only
exacerbate our communities already high - highest in the U.S. - childhood
asthma rates.
           We just lost a lawsuit filed in NYS court to stop these plants,
because the permitting process did not properly involve the communities
involved.
            What I am asking each of you who receive this e-mail to do is to
1st, e-mail ALL the politicians in NYS listed below.  Tell them that as
long as they act in environmentally an racist manner toward low income
communities of color in NYS, you will NOT Vacation in NYS, and will boycott
NYS products, businesses and services.  You will NOT contribute your hard
earned $$$$$$$$$$, to oppress and  kill low income people in NYS.
            I have participated in similar e-mail actions in the past on
behalf of oppressed communities elsewhere in American and abroad.  It can
work.  We desperately need your help, and will do the same for you if
asked.  We need to see each politician listed below deluged with 100,000's
of e-mails.
                Please write to the following NYS politicians.
           In your e-mail or letter please SPECIFICALLY state that "Until
the environmentally unjust assaults on NY City low income, communities of
color STOPS, you will NEVER visit NYS , NOR spend any vacation $$$$$$ on
trips to NYS.  You will also where possible Boycot NYS products, businesses
and services."

**  Joseph L. Bruno    BRUNO at SENATE.STATE.NY.US
Martin Connor    CONNOR at SENATE.STATE.NY.US
**  Pedro Espada, Jr.    ESPADA at SENATE.STATE.NY.US
Olga A. Mendez    MENDEZ at SENATE.STATE.NY.US
Nellie Santiago    SANTIAGO at SENATE.STATE.NY.US
Assembly woman  Carmen Arroyo  No e-mail  ALBANY OFFICE  LOB 734  ALBANY,
NY 12248 518-455-5402
**  Assembly man, Richard Brodsky, Chair, Environmental Committee  brodskr@
assembly.state.ny.us
Assembly man Rubin Diaz  No e-mail  ALBANY OFFICE  LOB 432  ALBANY, NY
12248 518-455-5514
Assemblyman Felix Ortiz  No e-mail  ALBANY OFFICE  LOB 542  Albany, NY
12248  518-455-3821
** Assemblyman Paul Tonko, Chair, Energy Committee  tonkop@
assembly.state.ny.us
** Assemblyman Albert Vann, Chair Corporations Committee vanna@
assembly.state.ny.us
Assembly man Joseph Lentol lentolj@ assembly.state.ny.us
** Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver speaker@ assembly.state.ny.us
** Governor Geaoge Pataki gov.pataki at chamber.state.ny.us

Peace and Good Health, (;->)    Curtis Seyfried, Project Manager, Community
Advocate
          e-mail: curtis.seyfried at verizon.net
My WWW Home Page:   http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze229hg/Index.htm

UBEC    Mailing Address:        POB 524369  Stadium Station, Bronx, NY. 10452