query: actions for mobile home residents group?

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Apr 12 19:13:43 CDT 2001

[ed:  Dixie has some further thoughts on tenant organizing tactics.]

From: "Ray, Dixie" <dray at iupui.edu>

While I think going to the landlord's home with flyers is a good idea, I
urge caution in the words you use. One safe way is to let the pictures speak
for you.   Our neighborhood association was sued when a landlord was called
a slumlord in one of our meetings.  The individual was sued (his homeowner's
insurance paid) and the organization was sued.  The case drug on for years
and interfered with recruitment and maintenance of membership, and we
eventually lost the case.  We have returned to being a vital organization,
but are more careful about what we say now.

Dixie Ray
Indianapolis