query: community mapping

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Apr 16 21:07:17 CDT 2001

[ed:  thanks to Linda, Beth, Helen, and Mike for the responses to Sarah's
community query. I will find a place on COMM-ORG for these links during the
summer revision of the site.]

From: Linda Nessel <lnessel at earthlink.net>

Sarah:

NYPIRG's community mapping project would be a good place to start.
http://www.cmap.nypirg.org/

Although NY based, they can probably connect you with broader links.   And,
in Chicago the Tutor Mentor Connection (dan bassill) uses GIS maps
effectively, especially to draw in volunteer resources.

hope these give you a starting point,

linda

*********************

From: Beth Lewis <blewis at ssw.upenn.edu>

Kretzmann & McKnight's work on community asset mapping is a good start.
Kretzmann, J. P. & McKnight, J. L. (1993) Building communities from the
inside out: A path toward finding and mobilizing a community's assets.
Evanston, Il: Northwestern University Press.

*************************

From: "Hartnett, Helen P" <helenh at ukans.edu>

hello, i am actually on the verge of a collaboration with neighborhoods and
a geo. department here at KU to undertake a mapping project with intent of
having this project be a tool for community organizing and strengthening.
the intent is to map things that the neighborhood feels are important and
compare that info to census and housing mapping data, and provide the tools
(money, and grant writing assistance) for the neighborhood to solve what it
feels are the most pressing issues.  we won't have results until late fall
or next spring, but i am interested in any ideas people have, experiences,
or words of wisdom.

helen hartnett

*********************

From: "Mike Hodge (NRC)" <mmhodge at ccs1.org>

Regarding using Community Mapping for health care outreach and organizing,
I'm not sure if you mean real mapping or the "mapping" of interests and
needs that is being done by surveying neighborhood residents.  If you mean
actual mapping with a Geographic Information System (computer mapping),
check these sites:

1)  The HUD E-map website (it seems to be down right now.
http://hudemaps2.esri.com/SearchFrame.asp
HUD also has these related links:  http://www.hud.gov/emaps/related.html

2)  A newsletter on using GIS (Geographic Information Systems) with health
data:
http://www.esri.com/library/newsletters/HealthyGISspr2000.pdf

3)  A paper on "USING GIS CORRELATIONS BETWEEN MORTALITY, MORBIDITY,
ENVIRONMENTAL, DEMOGRAPHIC, AND CENSUS DATABASES IN SITING ENVIRONMENTAL
POLLUTION PERMITS"
http://www.esri.com/library/userconf/proc00/professional/papers/PAP431/p431.
htm

4)  Info on National Neighborhood Indicators Partnership (uses data for
neighborhoods):
http://www.urban.org/nnip/concept.html

Or e-mail me off list, as we are using GIS with neighborhoods in Nashville,
TN.

Mike Hodge   mmhodge at ccs1.org