NFG Community Organizing Toolbox

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Apr 22 21:08:57 CDT 2001

[ed:  David invites us to what I think is a worthy and important
discussion. The original message to which he responds is reprinted below.]

From: "David M. Chavis" <dchavis at capablecommunity.com>

Does the headline of this press release strike others as strange? I don't
doubt the accomplishments. I have conducted research to support the claims
of these achievements. It seems odd that theories and experts are the basis
for comparison for community organization success, especially when there has
been for a long time solid theory, experts and research supporting community
organizations roles in these areas, but who ever claimed that an expert
directly created jobs or prevented crime? Yet, Alan Greenspan may argue that
academic theories and experts have been very effective. Why do so many in CO
have such great disdain for knowledge and expertise?

David