Organizing around September 11, 2001

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Sep 12 13:42:00 CDT 2001

[ed:  I am still in a state of shocked disbelief at the tragedy of
September 11.  Chris' message reminds me of the many
important roles for community organizing.]

From: "Chris Tilly" <Chris_Tilly at uml.edu>

Friends--
This seems like a constructive (short-term) response to
yesterday's terrible events.
Chris Tilly

justice organizations,
> > shocked and profoundly concerned by today's events, are
calling for a
> > silent vigil in Copley Square, along Boylston St., from 6 to
7 PM on
> > Wednesday evening, September 12.
> >
> > People are encouraged to bring candles and flowers, but
NO signs.

> > Our message is sympathy and sharing the grief with all
who have suffered
> > indiscriminate attacks, and that violence is not the answer.
> >
> > We encourage people to take this message into our
communities and to our
> > elected representatives. Please join us and please spread
the word as you
> > can.
> >
> > With sympathy and for peace,
> > Joseph Gerson
> > American Friends Service Committee

Chris Tilly, University Professor
Department of Regional Economic and Social Development
University of Massachusetts at Lowell
Lowell, MA 01854
USA
Phone 978-934-2796, fax 810-963-5975