In memory of Rosemary Derrick

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Sep 21 00:12:00 CDT 2001

[ed:  during this time of so much sadness we have more
sadness to share.  And, as always during these times, we
also have an example of commitment to give us strength.]

From: Southern Empowerment Project
<souempow at bellsouth.net>

Dear Com-Org friends,

We have tried to reach as many people as possible who knew
Rosemary Derrick with the news of her passing last Monday.
Please share the details.

Rosemary Derrick, Leadership Development Coordinator of the
Southern Empowerment, was a native of Rock Springs,
Tennessee. She worked for JONAH, an African-American
organizing group in West Tennessee for ten years, serving as
an intern, organizer and as Director. She had worked for SEP
for eleven years (you can see a picture of her on our web site
being honored for ten years of service by the organizing class
of 2000). She served on the steering committee of the National
Organizers Alliance (stepping down this year after two terms)
and played a leading role in the Organizers of African Descent
caucus. She served two years on the coordinating committee
of the Southern Organizing Cooperative. In her community,
she served on the board of the Southwest Tennessee
Development District, a senior citizens center, and an advisory
committee of the local agricultural extension service.  In her
local community and family that she carried heavy
responsibilities with joy and love.

Services for Rosemary Buckley Derrick, 50 will be Sept. 21,
2001 at 1:00 p.m. at Mt. Ararat Primitive Baptist Church in
Cedar Grove, Tennessee with burial to follow at the church
cemetery. Survivors include four brothers along with several
nieces, nephews, cousins and friends to mourn her passing.
For more info. Call Trinity Funeral Home 731-644-2251. you
can write to the family: Michael Derrick, 5475 Mt. Gilead
Road, Cedar Grove TN 38321. Messages by email can be
sent to the Southern Empowerment Project at
souempow at bellsouth.net or through the SEP web site at
http://www.southernempowerment.org.  No announcement has
been made about memorial funds.

This has been an extremely difficult week for us. The staff and
board of the Southern Empowerment Project lost a co-worker
who was also a friend who meant so much to us. Thank you
to those who have sent comforting and loving messages from
all over the country. We knew no one who gave of herself more
generously. She believed in the work we do deeply. We
celebrate in having been part of her life.

After some healing time, we will share more reflections on our
web pages.

Walter Davis for the staff and board of SEP