Need speakers for a globalization forum in Utica, NY

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Jan 7 10:42:00 CST 2002

[ed:  please send any individual contact information directly to John
at the e-mail address below.]

From:	JFurman835 at aol.com

I am the President of the Utica Citizens in Action, a progressive
multi-issue
organization located in Utica, New York.  Our organization conducts
research,
public policy analysis, lobbying, and community organizing on
economic
justice issues.  We are affiliated with Citizen Action of New York.
 Our
group is an all-volunteer group that depends upon community
donations.

We would like to conduct a forum in Utica on  globalization, WTO,
and related
issues.  We are particularly interested in using the forum to
encourage local
media coverage of the issue and to put continued pressure on
NYS's political
leadership. We are interested in holding the forum to coincide with
the trade
talks in NYC during late January.  We are requesting your help in
scheduling
speakers for the forum.

We would like the forum to  explore the following topics:

impact of globalization on economically depressed communities
like Utica
multinational domination of business
impact on environment and labor rights

We were thinking of an evening forum from 7 - 9 p.m. on a
weekday night.  Our
group is interested in preparing a short study on  the impact of
globalization on the local economy; perhaps this could be released
earlier on
the day of the forum.

Are there any  speakers in Upstate NY you could suggest for the
forum?  Are
there any television/video documentaries we could show?

Our group is also interested in conducting a simple study to show
the effect
of globalization on the local economy and the loss of jobs. Would
you suggest
some methodologies to conduct this study?

Please put me on your mailing list and send me any reports or
studies on
these topics.  Kindly send me membership information, copies of
your
newsletters, sample letters to the editor and guest editorials we
could print
in our newspaper, and other resource information.

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,

John Furman
President