query: HUD consolidated plan

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Jan 10 21:42:00 CST 2002

[ed:  those of you who work with HUD issues may be able to help
here.]

From: JFurman835 at aol.com

I am the leader of a local citizen's group - Utica Citizens in Action.
We are a grassroots multi-issue organization that works on
economic justice, housing, living wage, environmental, and
educational issues.  The Utica Citizens in Action is made up of
labor, clergy, activist, student, and community groups.

The Utica Citizens in Action, an organization representing low-
income people, is requesting your technical assistance to ensure
that our local HUD Consolidated Plan  promotes a progressive
housing and community development agenda.

The Utica Citizens in Action has a strong interest in ensuring that
the local municipality promotes the participation of  low-income
people in the CDBG and Consolidated Plan process.   What have
other communities done to ensure ongoing public participation?
What would be some model programs for promoting meaningful
participation?

We are also interested in preparing  local policy paper for the
Consolidated Plan calling for the adoption of specific local
progressive policies on affordable housing, codes enforcement,
predatory lending, insurance redlining, democratic economic
development, living wages, sustainable development, and other
issues affecting low-income people which could be included in the
City of Utica's Consolidated Plan.  Do you know of any model
documents we could use?

Our timeline is short.  Please contact me as soon as possible with
any ideas.

Please send me information regarding your organizing efforts on
this issue. Would you have any of the following you could forward
to me:  brochures, research papers, flyers, press releases,
speeches, ordinances,  models of  consolidated plans which are
sensitive to low-income people's needs, citizen participation plans,
newspaper articles?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

John Furman