query: lobbying coalition politics

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Jan 24 20:42:00 CST 2002

[ed:  thanks to Larry for responding to Herb's query.]

From: Larry Yates <lyates at chej.org>

I would guess that the largest congressional lobbying campaigns,
both in
terms of the most DC groups and in terms of the largest grassroots
involvement, have been those for civil rights legislation and related
issues, such as those to block racist Supreme Court nominees.
Generally
under the auspices of the Leadership Conference for Civil Rights,
these
have involved labor, ethnic civil and human rights groups, women's
organizations, and many others. The NAFTA campaign was on a
similar
scale, but probably not quite as broad.

On the other side of the fence, some tax issues have brought
together
enormous coalitions of business interests, including many small
businesses.

--
Larry Yates
Organizer
lyates at chej.org
http://www.chej.org
-----------------------------
For information on PCBs, go to
http://www.ipen.org/pcb_workinggroup.htm
------------------------------
The Center for Health, Environment and Justice was founded in
1981 by
Lois Marie Gibbs, leader of the Love Canal effort. CHEJ assists
local
people to become empowered to protect their communities from
environmental threats. We are supported in part by our
membership. If
you are interested in joining or contributing to CHEJ, membership
dues
are $30 per year. You'll receive our quarterly magazine, Everyone's
Backyard.