Alliance for Global Justice

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Jan 28 17:12:03 CST 2002

[ed:  please note the "accounting for nonprofits" workshop in this
message.]

From: "A. M. Karim" <Karim at afgj.org>

ALLIANCE FOR GLOBAL JUSTICE MISSION: It is the mission of
the Alliance for Global Justice, < http://www.afgj.org > to achieve
social change and economic justice by helping to build a stronger,
more unified grassroots movement. We recognize that the
concentration of wealth and power is the root cause of oppression
requiring us to work together across ideologies, issues and
communities. The Alliance nurtures organizations seeking
fundamental change in international and national conditions that
disempower people, create disparities in access to wealth and
power, poison the earth, and plunder its resources. We support
locally-based grassroots organizing by sharing political analysis,
mobilizing for direct action, monitoring the centers of corporate and
government power, expanding channels of communications, and
sharing skills and infrastructure. Our commitment to solidarity and
to non-hierarchical democratic process enables us to respectfully
listen and respond to each other within the movement. As a 501c3
non profit organization the Alliance for Global Justice (AFGJ) acts
as fiscal sponsor for approximately 20 unincorporated projects.
This communication announces one of its latest initiatives.  AFGJ
will host a series of workshops geared to help practitioners in the
community economic development arena, the coop arena, and from
other socially responsible groups to understand the basics of
organizational management. The first workshop will be
Understanding Accounting for Non Profits. February, 7, 14, 21 and
28, Thursday evenings from 6 to 7:30 pm at the AFGJ office
located at 1247  E Street SE Wash DC 20003.  The objective of
this workshop is to enable participants to develop fundamental
skills in using and understanding financial information and the
accounting tools necessary to the successful management of any
business or organization.  We will cover the following topics:
balance sheets, income statements, cash flow statements, internal
controls, nonprofit accounting issues, audits and good financial
practices. Emphasis will be on developing practical skills that can
be used to improve the financial management of community based
organizations. See the attached announcement for further
information on how to register. Call 202 544 9355 or email
karim at afgj.org