job: research director

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Jan 31 12:12:00 CST 2002

From:	"John M. Beam" <beam at fordham.edu>

We have an interesting opening at the National Center for Schools
and
Communities for someone who shares our passion for addressing
the equity
issues plaguing public education in the United States.  I'll cut and
paste
the announcement below.  Also, feel free to check out our web site
at
NCSCatFordham.org

John M. Beam

Search Reopened: Director of Research and Evaluation

The National Center for Schools and Communities at Fordham
University has
an immediate opening for a grant-funded Director of Research and
Evaluation
to help further our mission of supporting parent- and community-led
school
reform efforts.  Start early January.

NCSC provides policy analysis and research to support grassroots
efforts of
parents and students working to close the achievement gap
between
low-income students in public schools and other students.  We
create
mutually respectful action and research partnerships with and
among various
stakeholder groups in the movement to make high quality of public
education
available to all students, regardless of race or economic situation.
The
Center seeks to connect these efforts with academic and other
resources
that will contribute to the success of community-driven school
improvement
activities.

Primary responsibilities of this senior position include designing
evaluation and research projects; managing evaluation projects
including
two large existing databases; providing quality control for NCSC
evaluation
and research work; ensuring the timely completion of evaluation-
related
deliverables; and coordinating the work of professional staff,
graduate
assistants, and student workers assigned to our evaluation
contracts.  The
Director of Research and Evaluation will also work closely with the
Executive Director to manage the strategic direction of the Center,
build and maintain relationships with grassroots groups and national
organizations engaged in school improvement organizing, to
develop new
program initiatives and coordinate projects, and to contribute to an
ongoing fundraising strategy.

This position requires a command of scholarly research tools and
methodologies including sophisticated applied statistics (e.g.,
hierarchical path analysis) and superior competency in SPSS,
database
design and management, and qualitative and quantitative analytical
techniques.  In addition, the ideal candidate will have:

a strong social justice orientation and commitment to social
change;

an advanced degree in policy analysis, library science with a
concentration
in research or reference, educational research, social work with a
concentration in research, community or social psychology,
sociology,
political science, or other relevant social science;

private sector experience as a consultant or with a non-profit policy
advocacy organization a plus;

knowledge of education issues affecting low-income students and
children of
color;

excellent written and verbal skills; proposal writing and contract
management experience a plus;

strong interest in applying research and analysis to real world
situations
in low income communities;

experience relating to individuals and groups representing a range
of
cultural, racial, and economic backgrounds; conversational ability in
language other than English a plus;

a strong work ethic, outcome focused work style, initiative, multi-
tasking
capacity, strong computer skills, and good social skills.

Salary is in the fifties plus outstanding benefits. This is not a faculty
line; the NCSC is not an academic department.   Please submit
resume and
two writing samples (limit: 2-5 pages each plus title pages, excerpts
encouraged) to Evaluation Position, National Center for Schools
and
Communities, Fordham University, 33 West 60th Street 8th floor,
New York NY
10023. Please, no calls, faxes, or emails.

The NCSC is a 100 percent grant funded project jointly sponsored
by the
Fordham University Graduate Schools of Education and Social
Service at the
Lincoln Center (Manhattan) campus.