Take Action for Willie Fontenot --was: warning about students working in the community

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri May 27 09:05:29 CDT 2005

[ed: Steve keeps us informed about the next chapter in this struggle.]

From: steven_chase at antiochne.edu

Dear Friends,

Here's a letter from the American Sociological Association to Attorney
General Foti about his support of ExxonMobil's harassment of the
environmental justice field studies trip of Antioch New England's
Environmental Advocacy and Organizing Program this past March and his
forced "retirement" of Willie Fontenot this last April, because he stood
up for the rights of the ANE students to engage in legal research of
corporate pollution. I hope other academics, academic associations, and
concerned citizens will take such strong action in our campaign to
protect academic freedom in Louisiana and Willie Fontenot's job. This
national campaign is growing. Last week, Clean Water Action sent out an
action alert to its members that generated over 1000 letters to Attorney
General Foti. Groups such as Friends of the Earth, Louisiana
Environmental Action Network, and the Mississippi River Basin Alliance
are all busy preparing email action alerts to their members on this
issue. Please contact Steve Chase at steven_chase at antiochne.edu for more
information and action ideas--or to suggest media contacts that you know
who might cover this growing campaign. Also, please forward this email
on to anyone or any listserv who you think might be interested.
==========================
May 20, 2005

Charles C. Foti, Jr.
State Attorney General
1885 North 3rd St.
Baton Rouge, LA 70802

Dear Attorney General Foti:

I write to express concern about potential academic freedom issues
arising from recent press reports in Louisiana and New England and from
complaints made to the American Sociological Association (ASA) by some
of the members of our Association who do research and teaching in the
area of environment and technology. These news reports and member
communications pertain to a reported incident involving Antioch New
England Graduate School students on a field studies tour of
environmentally controversial areas near Baton Rouge that were guided by
Willie Fontenot, formally an employee of your office.

The core issues of concern to the ASA as a national and international
scientific membership organization are those of academic freedom in
teaching, learning, and research. Freedom to carry out these three
central functions without threats or unwarranted impediments lies at the
heart of America’s scientific prominence in the world. In those
countries in which teaching, learning, and research are not protected
against unlawful intimidation, the United States and other democratic
nations expend considerable resources to help scholars and students work
toward the achievement of freedoms that American educators typically enjoy.

Living and working in the nation’s security-conscious capital, within
two blocks of the White House, we fully appreciate the importance of
post-911 measures to ensure the safety of our country’s vital resources
and people. At the same time, we are also well aware of the critical
importance of preserving the resilience of our democracy in this
post-911 period by strengthening the scientific education of our young.
If students, teachers and researchers working in public spaces feel
intimidated by security personnel or others who may be insufficiently
informed about the scope of their authority, then we will have
unwittingly undermined the very source of our nation’s power as we face
threats to our security—our strong democracy governed by laws.

The ASA has a long history of professional concern about, and successful
advocacy for, the rights and freedoms of U.S. and international scholars
in accordance with guidelines of the ASA, the American Association of
University Professors, the American Association for the Advancement of
Science, and other nationally and internationally recognized
professional and ethical standards. The Association’s concern with
academic freedom extends to individual rights of due process and
legitimate grievances that play an important role in protecting our
freedom to learn, teach, and research. While Mr. Fontenot is not a
member of our Association or the Antioch educational community, we have
an interest in him as someone who was, at this time, integral to the
Antioch students’ educational experience.

We are not in a position to have full information about the
circumstances underlying Mr. Fontenot’s situation in your office.
However, serious questions have been raised publicly within the local
community and in the larger national academic community about the
circumstances of Mr. Fontenot’s departure from his position. We would
urge you to ensure that there was a full and credible review and
appropriate levels of due process and transparency regarding all matters
in the Attorney General’s Office, including his departure, that involved
Mr. Fontenot’s work with the Antioch students and faculty on the
occasion about which we are concerned.

I anticipate hearing further from the members of our Association with
regard to these incidents. I would hope that you and your office are
able to provide assurances that unnecessary and unlawful intimidation of
students and teachers engaged in appropriate educational and research
activities will not occur in Louisiana, and that those persons who aid
and support such activities will be similarly respected. Accusations
such as those raised in the press and by educators about this situation
not only chill legitimate and important academic freedoms but also
potentially damage the reputations, prestige, and credibility of the
persons and institutions involved.

We look forward to evidence of a prompt, professional, transparent, and
satisfactory investigation of all aspects of this unfortunate situation.

Sincerely,

Sally T. Hillsman, PhD
Executive Officer
American Sociological Association