ACORN HQ in New Orleans

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Sep 1 21:38:50 CDT 2005

 From:    acornnews at acorn.org

Help ACORN Rebuild in New Orleans

Katrina's devastation hit ACORN's headquarters and neighorhoods in New
Orleans.

A letter from ACORN President Maude Hurd

Dear friends,

As President of ACORN, I want to extend our sympathies to everyone
impacted by the Hurricane Katrina, and ask that all our members and
friends keep them in their thoughts and prayers.

ACORN's national headquarters are in New Orleans, and the dedicated
community leaders of Louisiana ACORN have long been at the forefront of
efforts to win stronger neighborhoods and economic justice.

To our friends and supporters around the country, I ask your help: we
need your support to open a temporary national headquarters in Baton
Rouge, Lousiana, and, as soon as possible, reopen our offices in New
Orleans. As we get up and running, we will work to help secure the
housing, community services, and other relief our communities will badly
need. All of this will be expensive, so please consider a contribution
to the ACORN Hurricane Recovery and Rebuilding Fund. (Read more about
how these contributions will be used.)

I am proud to report that members of the ACORN family are already
pulling together to help. Houston ACORN members are preparing to host
fleeing ACORN members in their homes, and volunteering to help other
evacuees. ACORN Housing will help fleeing homeowners contact their
mortgage lenders and arrange temporary forebearnce on mortgage payments
until insurance claims are sorted out. A message board on our website
will help members and staff reconnect.

Finally, let me say, very personally, to our ACORN members, staff and
other residents of New Orleans: I cannot find the words to express the
level of grief and concern that we feel for you and the loss you are
undergoing. We pray for your safety, and hope for the best possible
recovery.

Sincerely,

ACORN President Maude Hurd
Boston, MA

Tax-deductible checks can be sent to: ACORN Institute - Hurricane
Recovery and Rebuilding Fund, 739 8th Street SE, Washington, DC 20003 -
or donate online.

Please spread the word by forwarding this message to your friends.

P.S. Even in the face of this crisis, the work goes on. Visit our
website (www.acorn.org) to learn about important gains in our campaign
to end Wells Fargo's predatory lending, and more.