Funds for Grassroots groups in the gulf coast-discussion

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Sep 2 21:04:33 CDT 2005

[ed:  Deidre and David continue the discussion.]

From:
Deirdre Silverman <deirdre at alternatives.org>

organizing model in dealing with a disaster:
Cuba has been hit by 3 major hurricanes in the last 2 years, one of
which passed directly over Havana. When we've contacted people and
organizations in Cuba asking if they needed help in the aftermath, the
response has been that they did not. This email explains how they
handled the evacuation of Havana.

> This was sent to me by Ned Sublette this evening (Thursday, September 1).
>
> I just spoke to nelson valdes, a walking encyclopedia of knowledge
> about Cuba, and asked him how civil defense is conducted in Cuba.
>
> "Less than 2 months ago, cuba was able to move 1.7 million people out
> of Havana on short notice.
> The whole civil defense is embedded in the community to begin with.
> People know ahead of time where they are to go. They come to your door
> and knock, and tell you, evacuation is coming, then they come and tell
> you, now.
> If no electricity, they have runners who communicate from a
> headquarters to central locations what is to be done.
> The country's leaders go on TV and take charge, but not only the
> leaders are speaking.  The TV weatherpeople are knowledgeable and the
> population is well educated about hurricanes.
> They not only evacuate. It's arranged beforehand where they will go,
> who has family where. Not only pickup is organized, delivery of people
> is organized. Merely sticking them in a stadium is unthinkable.
> Shelters all have medical personnel from the neighborhood. They have
> family doctors in Cuba (1 foir every 180 families! DS), who evacuate
> together with the neighborhood, and already know who, for example,
> needs insulin.
> If they evacuate to a countryside high school -- a last resort -- they
> have dormitories there. They also have veterinarians and they evacuate
> animals.  They begin evacuating immediately, and also evacuate TV sets
> and refrigerators, so that people aren't relucatant to leave because
> people might steal their stuff.
>
> It's not throwing money at the problem.  It's not financial capital,
> it's social capital. The U.S. in this sense has zero social capital.
> Dealing with hurricanes in Cuba, as compared with how it's done in the
> U.S., is similar to the differences in how they deal with medicine.
> It's not reactive; it's proactive.  They act as early as possible. The
> US. doesn't have civil defense, it has civil *reaction.*"

*Deirdre Silverman, Development Director
Alternatives Federal Credit Union
125 N. Fulton Street, Ithaca, NY 14850
phone (607) 273-4611 ext 816  fax (607) 277-6391
dsilverman at alternatives.org    www.alternatives.org
<http://www.alternatives.org/>

*
From: "David Chavis" <dchavis at capablecommunity.com>

I think that the response of the national and local organizing networks
is admirable and most appreciated to raise funds for aid. Has there been
thought about organizing to help gain social control, improve self help
efforts, and most of all, demand a better response? It seems to me that
skilled organizing is as need as any assistance, now and into the future.

David

David M. Chavis
Principal Associate/CEO
Association for the Study and Development of Community
312 Frederick Ave.
Gaithersburg, MD 20877
301.519.0722 ext. 109 (voice)
301.519.0724 (fax)