US peace activist held in Australia

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 13 08:28:25 CDT 2005

Hi COMM-ORG,

While all of our attention has been focused on the outrage in New
Orleans, we may not have heard the story of a U.S. peace activist and
community organizer, Scott Parkin, being held in Australia.

Apparently, he was snatched from a Melbourne cafe and is being held in
solitary confinement while being charged $125/day for the space.  The
government refuses to say why he is being held.  He has apparently
broken no laws, though he has attended a couple of peaceful protests in
Australia and was about to do a community organizing training when he
was grabbed from the cafe.  There are many people on this list who have
visited Australia, attended the odd demonstration, and done a community
organizing training or two.  Anyone who has done so may never be safe
there again.

For more information you can go to http://www.theage.com.au/, among
other sources.

Randy Stoecker