community weaver training

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Sep 17 11:12:33 CDT 2005

From:    wecare at familynetwork.org
    Subject: Community Weaver Training Nov. 14-16
    Reason:  Post to moderated list

At your convenience, visit:

    http://comm-org.wisc.edu/mailman/admindb/colist

to approve or deny the request.

Subject:
Community Weaver Training Nov. 14-16
From:
"Cheryl Honey" <wecare at familynetwork.org>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:41:00 -0700
To:
<colist at comm-org.wisc.edu>

COMMUNITY WEAVER CERTIFICATION TRAINING

November 14-16, 2005
(Free Training of Trainers of Volunteers Nov. 17-18)

Cascade People's Center *
309 Pontius Ave. N.
Seattle, Washington

FAMILY SUPPORT NETWORKING

In the aftermath of the recent disasters, communities are looking for
ways to better prepare citizens, coordinate efforts at all levels and
develop a pool of resources that can be tapped in an emergency. The
Family Support Network is a non-profit organization that is growing a
nation-wide interconnected network of trained volunteers who pool
resources, network with one another and co-create initiatives for the
health and safety of their communities.

This interconnected support system is mobilized in times of disaster to
provide shelter, collect resources, make repairs, and show humankindness
in times of need. Community Weavers are trained how to implement Family
Support Networking in their community and receive the materials and
support necessary to start-up Family Support Networks in schools,
churches, neighborhoods, associations and agencies in communities. They
learn how to recruit and train volunteers as Family Advocates/Liaisons
who empower families to help themselves.

In this leadership training, you will gain insight into disaster
preparedness efforts, transformative community building theories and
practices. You will also learn practical applications of ABCD
(Asset-Based Community Development) and Family Support principles that
underpin the FSN methodology. All the tools, techniques, technology and
expertise you need are provided to customize change initiative(s) that
empower families toward self-sufficiency and that better meet the needs
of your community.

You'll be amazed at how easy it is to engage, train and mobilize a grass
roots social support system that serves as a safety net for families,
fosters social capital and functions interdependently with formal
systems to improve the health, welfare and safety of the whole community
from the inside out.

Presenters

Cheryl Honey, C.P.P. & FSN Founder
Cheryl Honey is the pioneer of Transformative Community Building
practices.  She founded the Family Support Network, a non-profit
organization, in 1993 and has trained and certified over 400 Community
Weavers and Family Advocates who are respected leaders and change agents
in their communities. Cheryl graduated from Antioch University Seattle
with B.A. in Liberal Arts. She received the Giraffe Award for sticking
her neck out in 1996 and was presented with the Ambassador of Peace and
Excellence in Leadership Awards from the International and
Interreligious Federation for World Peace. The ABCD Institute and
Institute for Civil Society have recognized the Family Support Network
model as an exemplary approach to capacity building. Cheryl is a writer
and lecturer and resides with her family in Bothell, Washington.

Jim Diers
Jim is on the ABCD faculty and author of Neighbor Power, a compilation
of citizen driven initiatives that sparked the spirit of community in
Seattle neighborhoods. He served 15 years in the Seattle Department of
Neighborhoods and was instrumental in establishing the Neighborhood
Matching Fund.

Marilyn Schoeman Dow
Marilyn is a Seattle-based creative strategist, international speaker
and recent president of the American Creativity Association. She is the
recipient of the David Tanner Champion of Creativity Award for creating
BOFF-O!® (Brain On Fast Forward).

                      Suggested contribution:
$300-$500
(Includes training, materials & meals)
(No one will be turned away due to financial constraints)

Rooms have been reserved at the Baroness Hotel for attendees coming from
outside the Seattle area.

To request registration information: register at familynetwork.org

Cheryl Honey, C.P.P.
206.240.2241
cheryl at familynetwork.org

Family Support Network
www.familynetwork.org

"The more resourceful we are among ourselves, the more valuable a
resource we become to our families, our communities and our world."

Good Neighbors Net is a web-based technology developed by social
entrepreneurs in Boston that Community Weavers use to connect people
together to share resources and spearhead activities and initiatives. To
tour GNN features go to: http://www.goodneighborsnet.org. This
technology has flexible applications for connecting members of
associations, neighborhoods, churches, and schools together. View
GNN-Seattle at: http://www.goodneighborsnet.org/locals.htm to see how
the Seattle neighborhood structure was replicated on this powerful
technology.

*Cascade People's Center is located in the heart of one of Seattle's
most culturally diverse communities, the Denny Regrade. We engage the
families we serve by helping them organize a variety of activities and
special events for the whole community. You are welcome to drop in and
tour our center and walk through the garden that surrounds us.