organizing in novels (was best organizing books)

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 20 15:35:36 CDT 2005

[ed:  thanks to Hillary for the additions.]

From: Hillary Aisenstein <hillarya at pobox.upenn.edu>

sorry to chime in late on this thread.  I have been in a fiction and
social change reading group for a few years.  some of these have more of
an organizing theme than others, but so far, we've read the following:

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver * Looking Backward by Edward
Bellamy * Two Cities by John Edgar Wideman * Call It Sleep by Henry Roth
* Ripening by Meridel Le Sueur * Ecotopia by Ernest Callenbach * I, Che
Guevara by John Blackthorn * Waiting for the Barbarians by J. M. Coetzee
* Germinal by Emile Zola * Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver *
Cities of Salt by Abdelrahman Munif * 1919 by John Dos Passos *
Blindness by Jose Saramago * Christ in Concrete by Pietro di Donato *
Kiss of the Spider Woman by Manuel Puig * To Make My Bread by Grace
Lumpkin * Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko * The Street by Ann Petry *
Continental Drift by Russell Banks * The Rebellion of the Hanged by B.
Traven * The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy * A Tree Grows in
Brooklyn by Betty Smith * The Price of a Child by Lorene Cary * We by
Yevgeny Zamyatin * Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison * Hard
Times by Charles Dickens * Pillars of Salt by Fadia Faqir * Never Come
Morning by Nelson Algren * Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri *
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? by Horace McCoy * Push by Sapphire
(Ramona Lofton) * A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry * Boyhood:
Scenes from Provincial Life by J. M. Coetzee * The Day of the Locust by
Nathanael West * When Elephants Dance by Tess Uriza Holthe * The Ecstacy
of Owen Muir by Ring Lardner, Jr. * The Color of Water by James McBride
* The Bread Givers by Anzia Yezierska * The Human Stain by Philip Roth *
Native Son by Richard Wright * Daughter of Fortune by Isabelle Allende *
Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton * A Sunday at the Pool in Kigali
by Gil Courtemanche * The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin * The Things
They Carried by Timothy O'Brien * Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora
Neale Hurston * The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman
* Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald * One Man's Justice by
Akiro Yoshimura * The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck * The Darling by
Russell Banks

the most relevant to this thread that stick out in my mind are:
Ripening
I, Che Guevara
Germinal
To Make My Bread