job: banking manager, Tanzania
colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Sep 22 09:08:51 CDT 2005
From: "Luda Mwangemi-Bruce" <LMwangemi-Bruce at accion.org>
Position: Managing Director, Akiba Commercial Bank Reporting to: The
Board of Directors
Akiba Commercial Bank (ACB) is seeking a Managing Director to spearhead
its expansion within a competitive banking environment. ACB is a
Tanzanian bank, headquartered in Dar es Salaam, with approximately USD
22 million in total assets. The bank's core mission is to expand
financial services to the small and micro business sector in the
country, as well as serve ordinary Tanzanians. The bank currently
operates out of seven branches and employs 210 staff.
Many of Akiba's customer’s businesses are in the informal sector of the
economy. As such, credit control is exercised through personal contact
and field visits, together with the monitoring of payments through the
bank account, rather than by formal financial reviews. This has
implications both for risk management procedures and review, and for the
management of staff to ensure proper exposure monitoring.
The Managing Director's core responsibilities will include:
* Ex officio non-voting member of the Board of Directors.
* Execute the policy decisions of the Board.
* Manage the day-to-day operations of the Bank by providing
quality leadership and guidance to all functions of the bank.
* Achieve business plan targets, especially with regard to the
expansion of the micro and small enterprise loan portfolio.
* Delegate effectively and encourage feedback and review of all
* Uphold high standards of risk management at all levels and
ensure effective supervisory control and management review. Ensure
effective implementation of all internal audit recommendations.
* Build strong and effective senior management team;
create/engender a team spirit among the Bank's staff in order to improve
the quality of the Bank's services and improve efficiency and
effectiveness of the Bank.
* Uphold high standards of financial transparency, ethical and
mission orientation and see they are implemented throughout the
* Develop annual and longer term budgets and strategic plans for
approval by the Board of Directors. Oversee the implementation of budget
and strategic plans.
* Build ACB's reputation as a bank committed to excellent customer
service, both internally and externally.
* Maintain solid relations with shareholders and external parties,
including donors, the Bank of Tanzania, the Government of Tanzania and
other business partners.
* Track record of managing a financial institution in a
* 20 years of commercial banking experience
* Excellent negotiation, marketing and presentation skills
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to
mobilize and empower staff to achieve results
* Fluency in English language
* Experience in the medium, small and micro sector or demonstrated
commitment to sector.
* Advanced degree in area closely related to finance
* Proficiency in computer software for financial institutions
* African banking experience.
* Swahili highly desirable.
Interested candidates should apply online by October 15th, 2005 through
the Employment Section of ACCION International's website: www.acccion.org.
Please note a CV and cover letter are required.
***ACCION is a nonprofit organization dedicated to giving people the
tools they need -- small business loans and training -- to work their
way out of poverty.***
More information about the Colist