Informing Redevelopment After Hurricane Katrina

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Sep 24 11:54:18 CDT 2005

From: John Green <jgreen at deltastate.edu>

Informing Redevelopment After Hurricane Katrina:

The Role for Community-Based Research

Alumni Center

Southeastern Louisiana University

Hammond, Louisiana

October 7, 2005

10:00 am – 3:00 pm

In addition to the immediate relief of individuals, families and
communities impacted by Hurricane Katrina, there are numerous
redevelopment issues in need of attention across much of the Gulf South.
Arguably, social scientists and community development practitioners have
a great deal to offer in this regard, ranging from documenting and
analyzing the psycho-social impacts of disaster to exploration of
strategies for local and regional community economic development.

Unfortunately, there are many segments of the population – rural, poor,
minority – that are often left out and unheard in decision making for
development. On this basis, it is important to “amplify” the voices of
these neglected and often underserved groups.

You are invited to a strategy meeting of community stakeholders,
nongovernmental organizations and researchers interested in informing
redevelopment following Hurricane Katrina. The goals of this meeting are
to share information and other resources and to coordinate a response to
redevelopment in the region. Participants will work to develop a
research and action agenda.

Many of you are likely engaged with community-based and other forms of
research following this disaster. Please come and share your thoughts
and plans with others. Each of us can strategically focus our attention
on particular communities, while at the same time coordinating our work.

Please RSVP by Friday, September 30 if you plan to attend this very
important meeting. (A boxed lunch will be served. Please indicate
whether you would prefer a vegetarian option.)

John J. Green, Institute for Community-Based Research

Delta State University

Phone: 662-846-4069 / Fax: 662-846-4099

E-mail: jgreen at deltastate.edu

This event is sponsored by the Institute for Community-Based Research at
Delta State University and the Department of Sociology and Criminal
Justice at Southeastern Louisiana University, in partnership with the
Mississippi Association of Cooperatives and Oxfam America.

Directions to Southeastern Louisiana University’s Alumni Center:

If going south on I-55 from Mississippi, take the first Hammond exit -
Exit 32 - which is also the exit for Southeastern Louisiana University
and for University Ave/Wardline Road. At the top of the ramp, take a
left at the light onto University Ave (now going east). Proceed down
University Ave about 1.8 miles to a small building on the left just past
the large basketball arena with the dark green roof panels. The small
building is the Alumni Center and has several yellow and green flags
flying in front of it. The building is very close to the roadway (not
set way back). The driveway is directly in front of the building, in the
middle of the flag display. The meeting room is toward the back of the
building and can be entered by a side door next to the parking lot.

The rest of Southeastern's campus buildings will appear on the right
side of University Ave. You will see large dorms and other buildings
across the street from the Alumni Center.

Coming north on I-55 (such as from I-12), take Exit 32 (University
Ave/Wardline) and turn right at the light at the top of the ramp and
travel about 1.8 miles to the Alumni Center.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Randy Stoecker

Associate Professor

e-mail:  rstoecker at wisc.edu

Center for Community and Economic Development
610 Langdon Street
3rd Floor
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 265 - 8256