query: government spending on housing

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue May 2 11:20:56 CDT 2006

[ed:  thanks to Ben, Corianne, David for responding to Roberto's query.
And apologies to Roberto for mistyping his name in the original query
announcement.]

From: Benjamin Shepard <benshepard at mindspring.com>

i would just look at hud monies for programs such
as Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS
and the local budgets of the offices of housing
preservation and urban development for nyc
compared with la.

best

bs

************************

From: "Corianne Scally" <corianne_s at yahoo.com>

Dear Roberto,

For federal housing expenditures, I recommend the National Low Income
Housing Coalition's publication "Changing Priorities: The Federal Budget and
Housing Assistance, 1976-2005" published in October 2004 and available at
http://www.nlihc.org/pubs/index.htm#cp04. This is an excellent resource
synthesizing a lot of data gathered from multiple agencies.

Best,
Corianne

Corianne P. Scally
Ph.D. Candidate
Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy
cscally at eden.rutgers.edu

*************************

From: "David Zisser" <davidzisser at berkeley.edu>

The Department of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD) budget is about $30
billion.  But check out the details of current and past budgets:
http://www.hud.gov/offices/cfo/reports/cforept.cfm.  Section 8 (now "Housin=
Choice Vouchers") is HUD's biggest expenditure, about $16 billion (but
rising every year).

However, the program that produces the largest amount of affordable housing
in this country is the low income housing tax credit (LIHTC) program.  Each
state gets a per capita allocation of around $1.75 in tax credits, but that
is adjusted for inflation by state.  For a more detailed explanation:
http://www.novoco.com/Facts_Figures/About_LIHTC.shtml.

Anyone else have something to add?

David Z.