DC Community Organizing Institute

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue May 2 21:32:45 CDT 2006

From: Marta Vizueta <mvizueta at onedconline.org>

DC Community Organizing Institute

May 2006

Building Progressive Organizing & Popular Education in the District

Greetings!

Below you will find the description of our newest
Initiative to support progressive community
organizing and popular education in the District.

We ask that you spread the news of this Initiative
widely given the innovative opportunity that it
provides. For more information or to download an
application, we welcome you to browse through our
website.

Peace,

Marta Vizueta, ONE DC (formerly Manna CDC)

* About the Initiative

* About the Initiative

Community Organizing Institute Dates:
June 5 - June 9, 2006

ONE DC has developed the District's first Community
Organizing and Popular Education Institute. This
annual 5-day, 40-hour intensive session for 8-10
local residents will be culturally relevant to the
District and focus on the use of progressive and
strategic community organizing for policy change.
Additionally, ONE DC will provide graduates with
technical assistance and support for at least one
year to ensure the full implementation and growth of
organizing initiatives throughout the District.

The Institute will be based on the "know-why"
and "know-how" approach concentrating on:

* Conceptual skills (i.e. values, theory and culture);
and

* Practical skills (i.e. hands-on training, campaign
development, action planning, coalition building,
behavior driven performance and outcome based
results).

Using a learning circle and popular education
approach the Institute will cover the following:

* Day 1:  Understanding & Building
Relationships with the Community: Cultivating
Leadership

* Day 2:  Identifying Issues, Analyzing
Structures & Teaching Others What You Know

* Day 3:  Strategic Action Planning

* Day 4:  Sustaining & Assessing the
Work

* Day 5:  Individual Strategic Action
Planning & Institute Evaluation

For more information or to apply, please click on the
link below. The application deadline is Friday, May 5,
2006.

DC Organizing Initiative... - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=zn6lcvbab.0.bku8vubab.vqbzznbab.748&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.onedconline.org%2FDCOrganizingInitiative.htm

* 2006 Shaw Freedom School
SAVE THE DATE!!!

2006 Shaw Freedom School

The day-long 2006 Shaw Freedom School will take
place on Saturday, June 10, 2006. The Freedom
School is an opportunity, especially for low-income,
city-wide residents, to understand and discuss issues
affecting their communities while developing concrete
skills around organizing and policy change.

We look forward to seeing you there!
About the Shaw Freedom Schools... - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=zn6lcvbab.0.dku8vubab.vqbzznbab.748&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.onedconline.org%2FShawFreedomSchools.htm

ONE DC
614 S Street NW
Rear Carriage House
Washington, DC 20001
202-232-2915
mvizueta at onedconline.org
http://www.onedconline.org

ONE DC is a progressive organizing and equitable
community development organization. ONE
DC is helping to forge a model and legacy of
community-led organizing, capacity building and
policy change in the District of Columbia.