New COMM-ORG paper: Community Engagement

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed May 3 16:52:15 CDT 2006

Hi COMM-ORG,

I am very pleased to announce another paper in the COMM-ORG 2006 paper
series:

     Community Engagement: Practical Strategies for Empowerment or a
Wishful Narrative?

     by James Whelan

This is a fascinating Australian perspective on government-sponsored
citizen participation processes and government reactions to
community-sponsored citizen participation processes.  And while it is
Australian in context, I find the issues eerily familiar.

You can find the paper at the COMM-ORG "Papers" page, in the 2006 section:

http://comm-org.wisc.edu/papers.htm

I hope that the paper inspires some discussion.  Authors contribute
papers to COMM-ORG in the hopes of getting comments, so please feel
welcomed to contact James directly, or discuss his paper through the list.

Thanks so much to James for contributing this work.

Randy Stoecker
moderator/editor
COMM-ORG
rstoecker at wisc.edu