query: getting access to schools

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun May 14 19:57:31 CDT 2006

[ed:  thanks to Dani and Phyllis for responding to Herb's query.]

From: "Dani Martinez-Moore" <dani at ncjustice.org>

With special thanks to some wise and wonderful friends (Manju Rajendran,
Hannah Strange and Lanya Shapiro) for the info below:

http://www.afsc.org/youthmil/counter-recruitment/default.htm
has two articles in particular that would be helpful...

About Equal Access precedents:
http://www.afsc.org/youthmil/militarism-in-schools/equal-access.htm

And 10 tips from a mom about how she got access in a rural town:
http://www.afsc.org/youthmil/counter-recruitment/voices-heard-public-sch
ools.htm

The Ruckus Society also explained that every time someone sues a school
based on the equal access laws, we risk an overturn, so be judicious. It
is better to be familiar with and refer to the precedents, but hold out
going to court as a last resort.

More good links:
http://www.militaryfreeschools.org/
http://themmob.org/lmca/

From: "Habib, Phyllis" <PHabib at arizonaschildren.org>

I have no experience with this, but my thought is that the school would
be more likely to consider the proposal to set up an alternative table
if it came from the students themselves rather than an outside
organizer.  Phyllis Habib, Golden Gate Community Center.