query: getting access to schools

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri May 26 11:07:51 CDT 2006

[ed:  Herb thanks the list.  And it's nice to hear that so many people
reply, since most replies apparently not coming to the list.  It would
be nice to see more of those great replies myself.]

From: "Herbert Rubin" <hrubin at niu.edu>

A while back I posted for a friend who was requesting help in working with
high students who are being recruited by the military without being allowed
to hear a counter view.  The response has been wonderful and I thank all
who
answered.  I've shared the material with the activist group in the adjacent
town  (though of last reports they are being stonewalled by the school
board).

The technical information of course is of value.  But on a more personal
level, knowing that there are dozens and dozens of social change activists
who are readily willing to help their brothers and sisters is of equal
import  by showing that that none of us are alone when battling an
entrenched establishment.

Thanks for both the advice and for providing a morale boost in these very
troubling times

Herb Rubin

Herbert J. Rubin                                815-756-6862
Sociology-Emeritus                           hrubin at niu.edu
Northern Illinois University                131 E. Alden Place
                                                          DeKalb, Il 60115

"A community will evolve only when the people control
their means of communication."   Fanon