[COMM-ORG] job: Fundraising, New York, no salary info

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 26 09:56:26 CST 2011

From: Taja Lindley <taja at cvhaction.org>

Coordinator of Individual Donor Fundraising

ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION:

Community Voices Heard (CVH) is a 15-year old grassroots membership
organization of low-income people, working together to build the power
of our families in New York City and New York State and to bring about
progressive policy change. Using base-building, leadership development,
direct-action, research and coalition building, we lead campaigns to win
benefits -- such as living wage jobs and real training, public and truly
affordable housing, progressive taxation invested in the right community
priorities, participatory democracy -- for our membership. Our main
office is located in East Harlem, NYC (where this position will be
housed); other chapters exist in Yonkers, Newburgh, and Poughkeepsie.
For more information, please visit www.CVHaction.org.

BACKGROUND ON POSITION:

Community Voices Heard is seeking a creative and energetic individual to
further diversify our funding base and strengthen our development
infrastructure and internal systems. The position will focus on managing
and expanding the individual donor program for both the 501c3 and 501c4
arms of the organization.

Our aim is to integrate fundraising into all aspects of our work with
participation from staff and board members as well as other key
volunteers and stakeholders. This position calls for someone familiar
with traditional fundraising best practices and eager to develop new
strategies for building a donor base outside of traditional wealthy
Board networks.

The position will report to the Director of Institutional Giving &
Administration in coordination with the Executive Director, and work in
collaboration with the entire staff team, volunteers & interns, and our
low-income membership -- our most passionate spokespeople.

JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:

The Individual Donor Program Coordinator will be responsible for:

Direct Fundraising: Create and implement a fundraising plan to build
stronger relationships and raise increasing revenue from individual
donors, our grassroots membership, and unions, including but not limited
to dues, annual appeals, visits, phone banks, etc. Manage current and
prospective donor interests and relationships with the goal of creating
a more formal major donor program.
Special Events: Plan and implement small and mid-size events, including
house parties, benefits, and other grassroots fundraising activities.
Infrastructure Management: Improve and institutionalize organizational
systems for donor tracking; ongoing communication, solicitation and
cultivation; gift acknowledgements; donation processing, and financial
reconciliation. Ensure full utilization of new PowerBase database.
Communications: In coordination with the Political & Communications
Director, develop compelling messaging materials for donor work.
Staff & Board Support: Engage staff, members, volunteers, Board (of
predominantly low-income membership), and Solidarity Board (of
non-member allies) in appropriate fundraising activities. Train and
support individuals to assist with resource development efforts. Serve
as primary liaison to the Solidarity Board and related fundraising
committees.

QUALIFICATIONS:

The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:

A range of 2-5 years experience in individual donor fundraising -
including cultivation, direct solicitation, and stewardship; preference
will be given to candidates with more experience and/or a demonstrated
history of professional development and on-the-job success.
Experience developing and implementing organizational fundraising plans.
Experience planning, organizing and executing special events and
fundraisers.
Experience motivating co-workers and peers outside of supervisory
relationships.
Experience managing committees.
The capacity to work independently and as part of a team.
The ability to juggle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
Strong written, oral communication and interpersonal skills.
Creativity, attention to detail, and strong work ethic.
Proficiency with computers and databases.
Ability to work with a diverse membership base in a bottom-up grassroots
organization.

Candidates will be particularly appealing to us if they also have:

Experience doing community, labor, or political organizing.
Experience working in a grassroots membership organization or other type
of social justice organization.
Demonstrated commitment to building long-term power for low-income
people of color, their families, and their communities.

COMPENSATION:

Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including
vacation days, personal days, holidays, medical/ dental/vision
healthcare coverage, and 403(b) plan.

HOW TO APPLY & TIMELINE:

Please send a resume, writing sample, salary history and expectations,
names of three references and a cover letter detailing your interest in
this position and the organization to: Sondra Youdelman, Executive
Director, Community Voices Heard, 115 East 106th Street, 3rd Floor, New
York, NY 10029.

You can also email your materials to cvh at cvhaction.org with “Individual
Donor Program Coordinator” in the subject line.

As an Equal Opportunity Employer, CVH strongly encourages people of
color, women, and LGBTQ individuals to apply.

Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Preference will
be given to applicants who submit materials by December 31st, 2011. The
first batch of resumes will be reviewed in early January 2012;
interviews will take place starting in mid-January; and we hope to have
someone start in the position in February 2012.