[COMM-ORG] query: Newt Gingrich and Saul Alinsky

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Jan 28 14:02:40 CST 2012

[ed:  thanks to Dave for the response.]

From: "David Beckwith" <dbeckwith at needmorfund.org>

I tracked the last debate - Gingrich mentioned Alinsky more often than
Reagan! Demonizing with a Jewish-sounding name, a secret knowledge - like
blaming the Masons or the Illuminati... another "dog whistle". These secret
knowledge attacks are very exciting to the true believers, and the audience
for the talk show hosts and Fox News. Just as the "insiders" of the inverse
side like to show how much we know about the real story by talking about the
origins of the tea party in the john birch society, and the money from the
Koch Brothers.

Not to be equating the "two sides", but I don't think the narrative plays
very far beyond the core in either case, but it energizes that core,
confirms their insider status and keeps them insulated from rational
argument. I think.