[COMM-ORG] Strategic Philanthropy: Who Wins? Who Loses

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 12 09:55:15 CDT 2012

[ed:  this is an important discussion.  It is worth having on this list
as well.]

From: "Prentice Zinn" <pzinn at gmafoundations.com>

As a funder that supports community organizing, I have been getting an
earful from social justice organizations.

Grassroots groups, civic organizations and many other nonprofit
organizations are concerned about how the field of philanthropy is
reinforcing power and privilege more than ever.

They warn me that foundations are putting the squeeze on organizations that
do not conform to mainstream biases and expectations of the dominant
institutions.

Here is my attempt to continue that conversation through a post on the NPQ
blog.

Strategic Philanthropy: Who Wins and Loses?

I'd love folks to weigh in with your stories that echo some of these and
other themes.

http://www.nonprofitquarterly.org/philanthropy/20956-strategic-philanthropy-who-wins-and-loses.html

-Prentice

Prentice Zinn

GMA Foundations

77 Summer Street, 8th Floor

Boston, MA 02110

Direct Dial: 617-391-3091

Main Number: 617-426-7080, extension 307

  <http://www.gmafoundations.com/> www.gmafoundations.com

Twitter: @prenticezinn