[COMM-ORG] PICO immigration organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 1 19:51:01 CDT 2013

From:
"Eddie Carmona, PICO National Network" <news at piconetwork.org>

Friend,

Yesterday I watched proudly as our brother, Eugenio Gomez, boldly shared
with national reporters the pain of his 9 months in detention in New
Jersey. As a result of clergy and leaders speaking up together, Eugenio
was released just last Thursday. Yesterday, standing side by side with
US Congressman Luis Gutiérrez and PICO partners, Eugenio spoke of the
sorrow he had carried in being separated from his family and church
community, about losing 50 pounds while detained, and about the deep
concern he felt being transferred between facilities without his
family's knowledge.

What is so sad about this story is that since June, over 100,000
immigrants like Eugenio - who would be eligible for a path to
citizenship under the bi-partisan legislation approved by the Senate and
supported by a majority of House Members - have instead been detained
and deported. Instead of calling for a vote on citizenship our
Congresspeople continue to allow aspiring Americans to be ripped apart
from their families.

Join us on October 5th for a National Day of Action as PICO and partners
hold prayer rallies and marches in over 80 locations across the country,
calling on the House to enact real reform that respects the dignity of
our families. [
https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/signup_page/natl-day-of-action ]

We have seen that our stories and action have power. In July Congressman
Coffman (R-CO) announced, at a gathering of Together Colorado clergy and
community members, that in response to the immigrant stories he had
heard he would support an earned path to citizenship. And he is just one
of 8 Republicans PICO is in relationship with who has stood up for
creating an earned pathway to citizenship.

But this process is moving too slowly, and the current piecemeal
approach with harsh racial profiling language like the un-SAFE Act is
not good enough for our families. Though we were able to stop Eugenio's
deportation there are thousands more aspiring Americans who are not as
fortunate. That is why we must stand together during this October 5th
National Day of Action to declare to Congress that our families deserve
a vote on citizenship now.

Add your voice: Click here to find an October 5th event near you. [
https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/signup_page/natl-day-of-action ]

https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/signup_page/natl-day-of-action [
https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/signup_page/natl-day-of-action ]

Our movement will not rest until there is a clear and inclusive path to
citizenship for all 11 million aspiring American, and until we stop the
destruction of our families through detention and deportation.

In prayer and action,

Eddie

Eddie Carmona
Campaign Manager - Campaign for Citizenship
PICO National Network

P.S. Check out yesterday's press conference, covered by the Washington
Post. [
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/09/26/immigration-advocates-announce-plans-for-demonstrations-across-country/
]

SUPPORT PICO

PICO's success in empowering families and improving communities depends
on financial contributions from our donors. Help support our work on the
issues you've read about in this issue of e-news and others.  [
https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/donate_page/give2pico ]