[COMM-ORG] Met Council Weekly Update

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Oct 20 10:47:53 CDT 2013

From: "Met Council Update" <active at metcouncilonhousing.org>

*TENANTS TO SERVE REBNY WITH SUBPOENAS*

The Real Estate Board of NY (REBNY) is one of the biggest spenders on
politics
in the state.

After Met Council's report
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22941&qid=79867>sparked

a Moreland Commission investigation into five luxury developers
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22942&qid=79867>,

housing advocates were joined by good government groups and elected
officials in
calling for a broader investigation into REBNY's dealings.

The Moreland Commission prepared subpoenas, but they were never
delivered. According to reports from the Daily News
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22943&qid=79867>

and NY Times
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22944&qid=79867>,

the governor's office may have interfered with the process to protect
his allies
in the real estate community.

But we know when and where REBNY members are getting together.

*Join us on Wednesday *as we deliver symbolic subpoenas to REBNY members
while
they head into a meeting at their offices. We have to keep up the
pressure to
force Governor Cuomo to allow the Moreland Commission to conduct their
investigations into public corruption. The reports from the Times and
Daily News
are rumored to make the governor rethink his strategy because the public is
outraged.

Tenants can't allow REBNY to drown out our voices in Albany with campaign
contributions. For more information about the protest, sign the online
petition
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22945&qid=79867>

or call Jaron at 718-864-3932.

*GOTHAM GAZETTE ON MORELAND FIGHT*

Last week, the Gotham Gazette chronicled the struggle
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22946&qid=79867>

in which Met Council and other advocates are engaged. The story also
focuses on
the efforts of Citizen Action of NY, Common Cause, Tenants PAC, the New
Roosevelt Initiative, and State Senator Liz Krueger.

It's a good read to get up to speed on why this fight matters to tenants
and
what we'll be up against when the rent laws expire in June 2015. Read it
HERE
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22946&qid=79867>.

Clearly, Governor Cuomo is uncomfortable with the investigation focusing
on his
relationship with real estate. That makes the next New York City Moreland
Commission hearing even more important - the hearing will take place on
*October
29, 6pm at Lighthouse International (111 E 59th Street, Manhattan).*

We need tenants to mobilize, testify, and raise visibility on the issue. If
you're interested in finding out more, email jaron at metcouncilonhousing.org
<mailto:jaron at metcouncilonhousing.org>.

*MET COUNCIL'S HOMERULE CAMPAIGN*

Met Council is planning to work with tenant associations, community
groups, and
service providers from around the city to launch a campaign to repeal the
Urstadt Law and regain home rule of the rent laws. If you or your
organization
are interested in attending an initial planning meeting, contact us at
organizing at metcouncilonhousing.org
<mailto:organizing at metcouncilonhousing.org>.

You can read the /Tenant/Inquilino/article on home rule by Met Council, Inc
Board Chair Kenny Shcaeffer HERE
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22947&qid=79867>.

*MET COUNCIL IN THE NEWS*

Gotham Gazette - "Housing Activists' Hopes for Moreland Commission Fade"
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22946&qid=79867>

The Real Deal - "REBNY's Races"
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22948&qid=79867>

NY Daily News - "Real Estate PAC Spends Megabucks on City Council Races"
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22949&qid=79867>

NY Daily News - "Cuomo Received Contributions from Developers Before
Signing Tax
Break"
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22918&qid=61386>

NY Epoch Times - "Senator Krueger Calls for Moreland Commission
Investigation of
REBNY
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22919&qid=61386>"

NY Daily News Exclusive on Met Council Report
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22920&qid=61386>

/The Met Council on Housing is dedicated to fighting for
safe, stable, affordable housing for more than 50 years.
Visit us on the web at www.metcouncilonhousing.org
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6217&qid=39313>/

/Click here to stop receiving our emails.
<http://met.server278.com/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=204&qid=79867&h=a1a73f099dad32fc>
/

/339 Lafayette Street #301
New York, NY 10012